Au Gratin Potatoes for Two
From a Chef's Kitchen
Au Gratin Potatoes for Two is a wonderful easy side dish to pair with anything you choose to make at home for your intimate dinner for two!
- butter, oil or cooking spray for baking dishes
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (approximately 12 ounces)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
- salt and white pepper
- 0.75 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter, oil or spray two small baking dishes with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a small saucepan. Add heavy cream or half-and-half and salt and white pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and gently cook the potatoes for 4 minutes. Remove potatoes and garlic to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Whisk grated cheese into cream until smooth.
- Layer 1/3 of the potatoes into the two individual baking dishes (1/6 into each dish). Drizzle both dishes with 1/3 of the cheese sauce. Repeat layering two more times, finishing with cheese sauce.
- Place on a baking sheet, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35-40 minutes or until hot, bubbling and potatoes are very tender.