Baked Breakfast Apples
The View From the Great Island
Juicy Baked Breakfast Apples are stuffed with oatmeal, topped with a drizzle of maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream for the coziest breakfast around!
- 4 apples
- juice of lemon
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup milk (any kind of milk will work)
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chopped Walnuts
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey
- whipped cream, yogurt, creme fraiche, or half and half
- set oven to 350F
- Mix the oats, milk and cinnamon in a small bowl, and set aside for an hour. You can do this the night before if you like.
- Slice the top 1/4 off the apples and remove the core with a paring knife and a spoon. Widen the cavity just a bit so it can accommodate the oatmeal.
- Mix the oatmeal with the nuts and raisins and spoon it into the apples, pushing down slightly to fill the apple completely.
- Set the apples in a baking dish and add about 1/2 inch hot water to the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until everything is hot and the apples are tender.
- Serve immediately with the garnishes of your choice.