Belgian Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free)
The View From the Great Island
This gluten free Belgian Chocolate Cake is one of the easiest flourless chocolate desserts I make ~ it has a thin crisp crust and an impossibly silky chocolate interior!
- 9 ounces dark (or semi-sweet) chocolate (either chocolate chips, or bar chocolate cut in small chunks )
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cut up)
- 1.3333333333333 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons almond flour (or regular all-purpose flour)
- 0.5 tsp almond extract
- 5 eggs (at room temperature)
- powdered sugar for sifting on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 325F Lightly butter a 10 inch spring-form or tart pan with removable bottom.
- Put the butter and then the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds, and stir again. If it's not completely melted, put it back in for another 15 seconds, and stir until the chocolate completely melts.
- Add the sugar, extract, and flour to the chocolate, then the eggs, and whisk really well to completely break up the eggs. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes. The mixture will thicken as it sits.
- Pour into the buttered pan and smooth out the batter evenly. Bake for about 50-60 minutes, until firm on top and cracks form across the surface. Cool on a rack, then remove the outer ring.
- Sift powdered sugar over the top.