Broccoli Salad with Pineapple and Bacon
The View From the Great Island
Broccoli Salad with Pineapple, Bacon, and Spiced Pecans ~ don't be surprised if everybody skips the main course and heads straight for this salad!
serves approximately 8
- 16 ounce package of Signature Farms Thick Cut Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Signature SELECT Sweet & Smoky BBQ Rub
- 1 pound broccoli crowns, chopped into bite sized pieces, chop some of the stems, too!
- 1 small red onion, cut in small dice
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup Signature Kitchens Mayonnaise Dressing with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Signature Kitchens White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Signature Kitchens Honey Mustard
- optional: 3 Tbsp reserved bacon grease
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- set oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the bacon strips in a single layer. Cook for 25 minutes, or until crisp. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the fat, and set aside the bacon to drain on paper towels, then chop or crumble.
- Put the pecan halves in a skillet over medium heat and toast, stirring almost constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until they give off an aroma and start to turn brown. Add the butter and the spice rub and continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- Put the broccoli, red onion, pineapple, grapes, and cheese in a large bowl. Add the bacon and the nuts.
- Whisk the mayo, vinegar, and honey mustard together (along with the bacon fat if you are using.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, you may not need all of it. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Just before serving, toss the salad again, add more dressing if needed, and season with more salt and pepper if necessary.