Chocolate Sour Cream Doughnut Bundt Cake
The View From the Great Island
Chocolate Sour Cream Doughnut Bundt Cake ~ a mashup between a chocolate bundt cake and your favorite doughnut! This chocolate doughnut cake is always a hit!
- dry ingredients
- 1.6666666666667 cups all purpose flour
- 0.33333333333333 cup cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 tsp salt
- wet ingredients
- 1 cup sour cream
- 0.75 cup buttermilk
- 0.75 cup vegetable oil (I use safflower or canola)
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder or instant coffee (powder, not liquid)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 0.66666666666667 cup heavy cream
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prepare a bundt pan by carefully buttering the entire surface, and then dusting with flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together in a another bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until just combined, don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it. I always check my cakes on the early end, at 45 minutes. Give it a few extra minutes if it doesn't quite look done.
- Set the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Then invert the cake and then let cool completely before glazing. It helps to loosen the edges with a small spreading knife first. Go along the outside edges and also the inside tube edge, gently prying the cake away from the pan to loosen it.
- To make the glaze, put the chocolate and the corn syrup in a bowl. Heat the cream until it comes to a simmer, I do this by putting it into the microwave for one minute, you can do it in a small saucepan if you like. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Then stir until the mixture is creamy and glossy, with no lumps. If there is any remaining unmelted chocolate you can microwave it for a short 15 second burst to reheat the mixture. Let the ganache sit for a few minutes to thicken if it seems too thin.
- Pour the glaze evenly over the entire cake, and immediately shower with sprinkles.