DIY Hibiscus and Lemon Cough Drops
The View From the Great Island
These DIY Hibiscus and Lemon Cough Drops are made with a strong brew of rosy hibiscus tea and fresh lemon for an all natural cough remedy that really works!
makes about 30 cough drops
- 1 cup strongly brewed hibiscus tea
- 1.25 cups granulated sugar
- juice of half a lemon
- confectioner's sugar for coating
- Prepare 2 mini silicone candy molds by spraying them lightly with coking spray.
- Put the tea and sugar in a small heavy saucepan and stir to dissolve the sugar. Insert a candy thermometer and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Boil until the thermometer reads 300F. DON'T STIR. If you mixture starts to scorch towards the end of the cooking, turn the heat down slightly.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice. Stand back as it may spit.
- Gently spoon the hot mixture into the candy mold or molds. You need to work fairly quickly because the candy will start to set up as it cools.
- Let the molds sit until set, or put them in the refrigerator to speed things up.
- Un-mold the drops and lightly coat them with powdered sugar to keep them from sticking. I used a clean toothbrush to brush away any excess sugar. You can wrap them individually with waxed paper if you like.
- Store in an airtight container.