Easy Vegan Pesto (5 Minutes!)
The easiest vegan pesto in 5 minutes! Cheesy and flavorful despite being dairy-free, plus an option for lower oil/fat. It's the perfect plant-based spread for Italian dishes and more!
- 2 cups fresh basil (packed, large stems removed )))
- 3 tbsp pine nuts (or walnuts (( if nut-free, try sunflower seeds !)))
- 3 cloves garlic (large, peeled )))
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp sea salt (plus more to taste )))
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp water (plus more as needed )))
- To a food processor or small blender, add the basil, nuts, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt and blend/mix on high until a loose paste forms.
- Add olive oil a little at a time (streaming in while the machine is on if possible) and scrape down sides as needed. Then add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water at a time until the desired consistency is reached - a thick but pourable sauce. (If avoiding oil altogether, sub the oil with vegetable broth or just use all water.)
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, salt for overall flavor, nuts for nuttiness, garlic for bite / zing, or lemon juice for acidity.
- Perfect for adding to sauces, dressings, breads, and more! My favorite recently has been adding it straight to zucchini or carrot noodles (see photo) for a beautiful, healthy side dish.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week. After that, pour into ice cube molds, freeze, and store up to 1 month or more.
View the recipe instructions at minimalistbaker.com