Easy Weeknight Chicken Piccata
The View From the Great Island
Easy Weeknight Chicken Piccata is a quick and easy meal that has a restaurant quality thanks to the shallots and dry sherry.
- 2 chicken cutlets
- 0.5 cup flour (use gluten free flour if you like)
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (divided)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 large or 2 smaller shallots (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp capers (drained)
- 0.25 cup white wine, dry sherry or Marsala
- 0.5 Lemon juiced
- 0.5 lemon finely sliced
- handful of fresh parsley (chopped)
- Season the cutlets with salt and pepper. Dredge the cutlets in the flour, making sure to get all the surfaces covered.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the butter and 1 Tbsp of the oil in a pan. When it is nice and hot add the chicken and let brown for about 3 minutes each side, This will basically cook the chicken through.
- Set the chicken aside on a plate.
- Wipe out any burned bits from the pan and add the final Tbsp of butter and of oil. Saute the shallots and garlic for 2 or 3 minutes until soft. Add the wine and lemon juice to the pan along with the capers, parsley, and finely sliced lemon and continue cooking for a couple of minutes to create the sauce.
- Nestle the chicken back into the sauce, spooning it over the chicken. Heat through, and serve hot, garnished with more capers and parsley.
- If the sauce gets too thick, add a little water and reheat it through.