Fig Tart with Lavender Honey
The View From the Great Island
Fresh Fig Tart with Lavender Honey ~ this crisp galette with a jammy fig filling can go anywhere from breakfast and brunch to dessert.
- butter crust
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sugar, for sprinkling
- approximately half pound fresh ripe figs, I used Mission figs
- fresh lavender leaves
- lavender honey
- lavender honey
- 1 cup honey
- culinary grade lavender
- To make the crust, put the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add the cold cubed butter and pulse about 25 times, until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is crumbly. Then, pulse again while drizzling in the cold water and then process briefly until the dough just comes together in one lump. If this doesn't happen in about 15 seconds, add a touch more cold water. Turn out onto a floured surface and bring together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour. (You can do this the day before if you like.)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice the figs and set aside.
- Tear off a piece of parchment paper the size of your baking sheet and set the chilled disk of dough in the center. Using flour as needed to prevent sticking, roll the dough out to a 14 inch oval. If you experience sticking, top the dough with waxed paper or plastic wrap while you roll. Slice the parchment with the dough onto a baking sheet.
- Arrange the figs as snugly as you can across the dough, leaving a little edge free for folding up around the fruit. Add a few lavender leaves in and among the figs.
- Fold the edges gently over the fruit. Brush just the edge with a little melted butter and sprinkle the whole thing lightly with sugar.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Tent with foil if the crust seems to be getting too browned toward the end of baking. Note: make sure your oven is up to 400F before baking to insure a crisp crust.
- If your lavender leaves have gotten fried in the oven, replace with fresh. Just before serving drizzle the lavender honey over the tart.
- To make lavender honey, heat the honey in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir in the lavender and cover. Let sit for at least an hour, then strain.