French Press Breakfast Chocolate
The View From the Great Island
French Press Breakfast Chocolate ~ this easy method makes a thick, rich, frothed hot chocolate just like the Europeans enjoy!
makes 1 large or 2 smaller cups
- 10 oz good quality dark or bittersweet chocolate, cut in rough chunks
- leftover vanilla bean pods
- 1 cup (8 oz) milk
- 0.25 tsp espresso powder
- Put the chocolate in the bowl of a food processor. Make sure the bowl is completely dry. Process until the chocolate is finely ground. You want a coarse granular texture. Stop if the chocolate starts to clump together and release its oil.
- Let the chocolate dry at room temperature for several hours. Then process again briefly. The chocolate will have lightened in color.
- Store the chocolate in a mason type jar with a tight fitting lid. If you are using the vanilla bean pods, layer them in as you fill the jar.
- Put 4 Tbsp of the chocolate powder in the bottom of the French press. Add in the espresso powder, if using.
- Put the milk in a quart sized Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, until it just comes to a boil. You can do this on the stove if you want to.
- Pour the scalding hot milk over the chocolate and put the plunger top on the pot, but don't depress it yet.
- Let the milk sit for 2 minutes.
- Then plunge vigorously for 1 minute to froth the hot chocolate. It will increase in volume. Do this on a steady surface.
- Pour into 1 large or 2 small cups and enjoy!