The View From the Great Island
Gingerbread Snickerdoodles ~ iinfused with molasses and coated with sugar and classic gingerbread spices for a holiday-ready twist on a favorite cookie!
makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies
- for the cookies
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.75 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 0.5 cup light brown sugar
- 0.75 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- sugar coating
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 0.25 tsp allspice,
- 0.25 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven for 400F
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt and set aside.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar in a stand mixer or using electric hand mixer until combined.
- Add the eggs and molasses and beat until the mixture is pale yellow and thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture slowly and continue to beat until just combined (the dough is soft, this is OK!)
- Whisk together the sugar coating ingredients in a small bowl.
- Using a small melon scooper or a tablespoon, form round balls with the dough and coat with the sugar toping. Place on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet and bake for 6-10 minutes. The cookies will be soft when they come out of the oven but will firm up as they cool. They should be slightly brown and crisp on the bottom.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet until they are firm enough to move, then finish cooling on a rack.
- Optional: sprinkle a little more of the sugar mixture on top of the cookies when they come out of the oven for a bit of extra sparkle.