Grilled Burgers with Bacon Tomato Jam and Smoked Gouda
From a Chef's Kitchen
Grilled Burgers with Bacon Tomato Jam and Smoked Gouda are a delicious treat! Give them a go today.
- bacon TOMATO JAM
- 1 pound bacon (cut into small 1/2-inch pieces)
- 4 ounces Pancetta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 plum Tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinches cayenne pepper
- 4 gourmet beef burgers
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices smoked Gouda cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- tomato slices
- red onion slices
- BACON TOMATO JAM: In a cast iron skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes or until crispy and fat is rendered off. Drain bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
- Add pancetta to skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to plate with bacon.
- Add butter to drippings then add onion with a pinch of salt. Cook onion for 10 to 12 minutes or until softened and golden. Add the diced tomatoes and garlic. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or just until tomato is softened and garlic is fragrant.
- Return bacon and pancetta to skillet. Add the water, dark brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until syrupy and jam-like. Add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper.
- BURGERS: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Season burgers with salt and a generous amount of black pepper. Place burgers on grill.
- Grill 3 to 4 minutes on the first side. Flip and grill another 2 to 3 minutes or to desired doneness. (Ground beef is safe when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees and no longer pink.) Top with Gouda cheese slices during the last minute or two of grilling.
- Spread butter on insides of the buns. Place on grill and cook 1 minute or until lightly toasted and grill-marked.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with lettuce, tomato slices, onion slices and bacon jam.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen