The View From the Great Island
Hal’s Soyburgers ~ A great burger is the birthright of every American, and you shouldn't have to miss out just because you don't eat meat.
- 2 cups cooked soybeans
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ small red onion (minced)
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp flour (whole wheat if you have it)
- black pepper
- serve with
- 4 soft wheat buns
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- Put all the ingredients in a processor and pulse just a few times until the mixture holds together when you press it together with your fingers. If the mixture seems too wet, add a little more flour. Don't process too much or you'll get paste; you want some texture.
- Using a 1/2 cup measure, form into 4 patties, and put them between waxed paper.
- Chill until you are ready to cook.
- To cook the burgers, fry them over medium high heat in a pat of butter. When one side is golden brown flip and cook the other side till golden. Add the cheese to the burgers at the end of cooking.
- Serve on the wheat buns with mayo and sprouts.