Healthier Slow Cooked Spicy Beef Curry
Healthier slow-cooked spicy beef curry. Less than 500 calories WITH rice (224 cals without). Syn free on Slimming World Extra Easy.
- 150 ml fat-free greek yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 kg lean braising (cut into small chunks )))
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 10 sprays spray
- 1 onion (large)
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1½ tbsp ground cumin
- 6 cardamom pods (sew them onto a piece of thread to keep them together-makes it easier to fish them out later )))
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 dried whole chillies
- 1 fresh green chilli ((( finely chopped )))
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and minced )))
- 1 ginger (thumb-sized piece, peeled and minced )))
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 500 ml beef stock ((( water plus 2 stock cubes or 2 tsp bouillon for gluten free is fine )))
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 lemon (juice of)
- 235 g basmati rice (boiled)
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
- Place the beef and marinade ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix together until everything is combined. I like to use my hands to massage the yogurt into the beef. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinade for 1-2 hours (or overnight).
- Place a large frying pan (or the inside of your slow-cooker if it can be used on the hob) over a high heat and spray with the frylight. Add in the beef and cook for 5-6 minutes until sealed. You\'ll probably notice watery liquid coming off the beef and marinade as you cook. Drain off most of it (otherwise you\'ll just be boiling the beef). It\'s fine to leave a little in there though.
- Once the beef is sealed, add in the onion and turn the heat down to medium. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add in the coriander, cumin, cardamom, turmeric, garam masala, black pepper, whole and chopped chillies, garlic and ginger. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times until the spices start to release their aroma.
- Stir in the tomato paste, stock, chopped tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to your slow cooked and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Once cooked, test and add salt and pepper if required. Serve over rice with some freshly chopped coriander.
View the recipe instructions at www.kitchensanctuary.com