Layered Rainbow Salad
The View From the Great Island
This Layered Rainbow Salad with a creamy buttermilk poppy seed dressing is a crowd pleasing layered salad that can be assembled ahead of time so it's perfect for picnics, potlucks, and barbecues. It's colorful and festive, and guaranteed to get raves!
- 1 5-ounce tub of baby spinach or baby kale, or a mixture of sturdy lettuces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut in a small dice
- 2 ears of fresh corn, blackened on a grill pan, kernels removed
- 0.25 small purple cabbage
- 3 hard boiled Eggs
- 6 ounce can black olives
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup pecans, toasted
- 10 pieces of crisp bacon
- buttermilk dressing
- 0.5 cup buttermilk
- 0.25 cup sour cream
- 0.25 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- Lemon juiced
- 0.5 - 1 tsp salt or onion salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- fresh thyme leaves or snipped chives
- Put down a good layer of the clean and dry greens on the bottom of your bowl.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes around the edge to form the second layer, and check from the side to insure that you can see them. For each layer you will add a bit more greens to the center of the bowl to even off the layer. (This is to make sure you have enough greens in the final salad.)
- Repeat the layers for all the ingredients, and top with the nuts and bacon.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together. Taste to adjust any of the ingredients.
- Pour some of the dressing in an even layer over the top of the salad. Scatter some fresh thyme leaves, or sniped chives, over the dressing for a garnish. Set aside the rest for serving alongside the salad.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.