Meat Lovers Chili
The View From the Great Island
Meat Lovers Chili is loaded up with three types of meat, making this one pot recipe a hearty favorite when the weather cools down and appetites ramp up.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 12-ounce bottle of your favorite beer
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste from a tube
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp powdered cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp powdered oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 15 ounce can of pinto beans
- 2 7-ounce cans fire roasted chilies
- 2 tbsp masa harina
- Heat the oil in a very large, deep skillet or stock pot. Saute the onions in the oil for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Remove to a plate.
- Add the beef to the pan and brown, breaking apart the meat with a fork or spatula into small crumbles while it is cooking. Remove to a plate. Brown the pork the same way and remove to a plate. Remove the sausage from the casings and brown it in the pan, in the same manner as with the other meats.
- Put back the onions, beef, and pork to the pan with the browned sausage and give it all a stir. Add the beer and bring up to a simmer. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste (if using) bay leaves, cumins, chili powders, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir well, and bring up to a simmer.
- Turn down the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for an hour. Stir occasionally. After an hour, taste the chili and adjust any of the seasonings. Add the beans and chilies to the pot. Dissolve the masa harina in 1/4 cup of water, and stir it into the chili. Gently simmer for another hour, stirring occasionally.
- Taste the chili to adjust the salt or any of the other seasonings. At this point you can serve it, or let it cool for an hour off the heat, and then refrigerate until ready to serve. You can do this up to 24 hours ahead if you like.
- Serve with plenty of toppings!