Minimal Monday: Layered 7-Bean Salad in a Jar
The View From the Great Island
Mason Jar 7 Bean Salad ~ these healthy layered salad jars are the perfect grab and go lunch, put the dressing on the bottom, and flip them over when you're ready to eat!
- assorted beans, either canned, dried
- colorful bell pepper
- red onion
- english cucumber (the kind that comes wrapped in plastic) finely diced. Don't peel!
- several sprigs of fresh thyme
- lemon vinaigrette:
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Make the dressing: Put the lemon juice and zest in a small food processor. With the motor going, slowly drizzle in the olive oil (there is a small hole in the top to allow you to do this.) The dressing will emulsify. Stop the machine and taste periodically so you get it the way you like it. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Do this with a whisk, if you like.
- Put a layer of red onion in the bottom of your clean jar.
- Add the dressing on top. Be careful not to splatter, I used a funnel.
- Begin layering your beans and veggies, pressing down slightly as you go. Keep the layers level, and try to use contrasting colors so it will look appealing. Add in the thyme leaves or sprigs as you go for flavor.
- Layer all the way to the top and then cap the salad and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Flip the jar over before eating to let the dressing percolate down over the salad.