The View From the Great Island
Pad Thai ~ make your favorite take out dish fresh and easy at home!
serves 4 hungry people
- juice of 1 large or 2 small limes
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 dried and crushed chili pepper, seeds too
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 8 oz rice noodles, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and then drained
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in bite sized pieces
- 6 oz extra firm tofu, cut in bite sized pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 0.5 cup crushed roasted peanuts
- 0.5 cup cilantro
- 6 scallions
- Mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a wok or large frying pan. Saute the garlic and shallot for a minute, then add the chicken and tofu. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil in the pan, and scramble the eggs, stirring to evenly cook them.
- Add the sauce and the noodles, stirring and tossing to combine well. Add the chicken etc back in, along with the bean sprouts, peanuts, cilantro and scallions. Toss well, heat through, and serve with lime wedges and garnished with crushed peanuts.