The View From the Great Island
Panzanella Salad is a classic Tuscan tomato and bread salad that is the perfect way to showcase ripe colorful produce and a fabulous oil and vinegar.
serves two for lunch
- 4 slices very crusty Italian or artisan bread, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and halved
- 3 cups diced tomatoes (about 5 or 6 small heirloom tomatoes)
- 0.5 medium English (seedless) cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 0.5 small red onion, cut in fine wedges
- 1 bunch basil leaves, roughly torn
- about 4 Tbsp good fruity olive oil
- about 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 325F
- Put the bread on an ungreased baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Rub the inside of your serving bowl with the cut sides of the garlic. Discard the garlic. Put the tomatoes, cucumber, onions and basil leaves in the bowl. Add the cubes of bread.
- Mix a simple vinaigrette with the oil and vinegar. Taste it and adjust it to suit you. Stir vigorously with a spoon, and then drizzle over the salad Toss well.
- Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Let the salad sit for about 15-30 minutes and then serve it up!