Perfect Gravy Without the Bird
The View From the Great Island
With this simple recipe for Perfect Gravy Without the Bird, you can have thick rich homemade gravy any day of the week! Check out my secret ingredient...
- 4 tbsp browned flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups Swanson Chicken Stock or Broth
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Set oven to 400F
- To make the browned flour: put the flour in a shallow pan or skillet, I used my 10" cast iron skillet. Put the skillet in the oven and toast the flour for about 40-50 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes or so, until the flour turns a nutty brown. You can put it in a jar after it's cooled and it will keep for a couple of months in the cupboard.
- To make the gravy, melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy skillet or pan, and add the browned flour to it, stirring until combined. Continue stirring for a minute and then slowly add the Swanson broth to the pan, stirring or whisking as you go.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer, stirring constantly. Taste and add salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- If you would like your gravy even thicker, you can whisk in some Wondra flour.