Quick and Spicy Refrigerator Pickles
The View From the Great Island
My Quick and Spicy Refrigerator Pickles are ready in under an hour! These spicy dill pickles are super crunchy and so easy to make!
makes 2 wide mouth pint jars
- about 8 small pickling cucumbers
- 2 fresh Serrano chili peppers, thinly sliced, seeds and all.
- fresh tarragon sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups white or white wine vinegar
- 0.33333333333333 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp rainbow pepper corns
- 1 tsp allspice berries
- 1 tsp whole coriander
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 6 cardamom pods
- Cut off the stem end of your cucumbers so that they fit inside your jars, with their tips ending just below the rim. Cut them lengthwise into quarters. Fit the cucumber spears tightly in the jars, with a couple of sprigs of tarragon, the bay leaves, and the Serrano pepper slices fitted in between the spaces.
- Put the spices in a dry pan and toast over medium heat for a few minutes, shaking the pan often. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the vinegar, sugar and salt, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Heat to a simmer, then turn off the heat and add the spices. Let cool.
- Pour the liquid into the jars, filling to cover the cucumber spears. Make sure the spices get into the jars as well.
- Cap the jars and refrigerate. You can eat them right away, but they will be more flavorful the next day. They will keep a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.