Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala
Here's an easy recipe for the perfect restaurant style paneer butter masala for all you paneer (cottage cheese) lovers! I love serving this with parathas and jeera rice. It's always a hit with family and guests!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 250 grams paneer cubes (or cottage cheese)
- 3 kashmiri red chilies
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- ½ teaspoon Peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Cashew nuts (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon white poppy seeds (optional )))
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 6 tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric (powder)
- 1½ tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoons Kasuri methi (dry)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cream
- salt (to taste)
- In a large pan or kadhai, heat a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil.
- Add red chillies, ginger, garlic paste and all the whole spices (bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and peppercorns). Alternatively, you can also wrap the spices in a muslin cloth and add them to the pan (take this out after the tomatoes are cooked down). Saute for a minute or two and add cashew nuts, poppy seeds (if using) and onions. Once the onions turn translucent, add the tomatoes. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes start breaking down and the mixture starts leaving oil at the edges. Switch off the flame and set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, fish out as many whole spices as possible, and blend the mixture to a smooth paste in a food processor or blender.
- In the same pan or kadhai, heat the remaining butter and add the blended paste prepared in step #4. Add garam masala powder, chili powder, turmeric, ketchup, salt along with 1/2 cup water. Bring this to a boil.
- Once the curry comes to a boil, simmer and cook for 30 minutes, till the oil separates slightly. Cut the paneer into bite sized pieces, add it to the gravy and mix gently.
- In another pan, dry roast the kasuri methi and grind it to a fine powder. Mix kasuri methi and fresh cream in the curry and switch off the flame. Serve hot.
View the recipe instructions at myfoodstory.com