Roasted Yellow Pepper and Lentil Soup
The View From the Great Island
Roasted Yellow Pepper and Lentil Soup ~ this light bright soup made with bell peppers and lentils makes a wonderful starter or light meal, just add a crisp salad and a warm loaf of bread!
- 2 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 0.5 cup yellow lentils (rinsed)
- 3 cups chicken stock (or use vegetable stock)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 0.25 tsp Saffron
- 0.5 cup half and half
- 0.5 tsp roasted cumin
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- yogurt or sour cream for garnish
- Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- To roast the peppers, cut them in quarters, seed them and brush lightly with olive oil. Roast on a baking sheet until slightly charred and softened, about 15 minutes.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and butter and saute the onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add the lentils, jalapeno, saffron, cumin, salt and pepper and broth. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup until smooth in a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender. Add the half and half, and bring back up to a simmer. Check the seasoning, and serve with a dollop of sour cream and some crusty brown bread.