Spanakopita is a very popular Greek savory baked pastry. Filling is made with spinach and feta cheese and is enclosed in a flaky filo/ phyllo pastry and then baked until golden.
- 12 filo Phyllo Pastry sheets (Sheets /)
- 3 tbsps butter (, melted)
- 3 tbsps olive oil (, divided)
- 1 onion (Small , finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (, finely minced)
- 4 onions (, finely chopped)
- 10 oz spinach (. Frozen , thawed)
- 1 tbsp dill (Fresh , chopped)
- 1 tbsp parsley (Fresh , chopped)
- supermarket roast chicken, approximately 200g once shredded
- 2 tbsps ricotta cheese
- to taste Salt Pepper (&)
- supermarket roast chicken, approximately 200g once shredded (, freshly ground)
- Prep Filo/ Phyllo Sheets: Thaw the sheets according to package directions. Keep them covered until ready to use.
- Make the Filling: Heat 1tbsp oil in a skillet, add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minutes or until fragrant.
- Next add the chopped green onions and cook till wilted about 2~3 minutes.
- Squeeze all the extra moisture from the thawed spinach and stir into the onion mixture. Cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Add the ground nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped herbs and cook for another minute or so.
- Turn off the heat and add feta cheese and ricotta. Mix well and set aside to cool a little.
- Make Spanakopita: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep ready.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and olive oil.
- On a clean work surface, place 1 filo sheet, brush with the butter mixture and gently place 1 more layer of filo on top. Brush with butter and place the 3rd filo sheet on top. Brush the top with oil.
- Cut the filo lengthwise into 3 equal pieces.
- Place 1tbsp spinach mixture on one corner of the filo strip. Fold the filo over the filling encasing it and forming a triangle. Fold it over upwards to make another triangle. Keep folding like a flag till the very end. Brush a little bit of butter mixture to the edge to make it stick to the pastry. Brush both sides of the pastry with the butter mixture and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining filo sheets.
- Bake for 18~20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot and Enjoy!!
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout