Spicy Roasted Vegetable Ragout with Black Beans and Polenta
From a Chef's Kitchen
Late summer vegetables, sweet potatoes and black beans over creamy, comforting polenta is a hearty and versatile vegetarian dish that satisfies on many levels!
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow squash, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive or canola oil (divided)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 can (10.5-ounce) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 can (15-ounce) vegetable broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Pepperjack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil. Place zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper and sweet potato on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Gently toss so that all the vegetables are coated. Roast 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender but not soft. Tilt the pan so that excess oil drains off.
- While vegetables are roasting, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat in a skillet or saute pan. Add the onion and cook 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander and paprika and stir until garlic is fragrant, approximately 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened to sauce consistency. Stir in black beans and heat through.
- When vegetables are finished, stir them in and add cilantro. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Combine broth, polenta, butter, salt and black pepper in a microwave-safe dish. Cover, place in the microwave and heat on high for 4 minutes. Stir and heat on high another 4 minutes. Repeat if necessary. Immediately stir in cheese and serve with ragout.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen