Whole Grain Pasta with Pistachio Pesto
The View From the Great Island
Whole Grain Pasta with Pistachio Pesto is a healthy, satisfying 30-minute vegetarian meal!
2 dinner size or 4 side portions
- 1 cup roasted unsalted pistachio nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 fistful of fresh parsley leaves
- 0.33333333333333 cup grated good quality Parmesan cheese
- a pinch of sea salt
- as much fresh cracked black pepper as you can stand
- 6 oz whole grain pasta
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 large lemon
- a squeeze of lemon juice (don't overdo it)
- parsley and chopped pistachios for garnish
- Put the first 6 items into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the nuts are finely ground, but there is still some texture to them.
- Cook the pasta in lots of salted water until is is just al dente.
- Drain it but don't drain every last drop of water off of the pasta, leave it dripping wet. Reserve a little on the side) Add the oil to the pasta and toss well. Grate in the zest of the lemon, and add a squeeze of the juice. Toss the pasta with 3/4 cup of your pistachio pesto. (You will have some leftover for another batch of pasta, keep it covered in the refrigerator until needed) If your pasta seems a bit too dry, add in a little extra oil or a little extra pasta water. Don't overdo either. Check the seasonings, if you cooked your pasta in nicely salted water it shouldn't need more.
- Serve immediately with some extra parsley and chopped pistachios as garnish.