Wild Rice Bowl with Watercress and Hazelnuts
The View From the Great Island
My Wild Rice Bowl with Watercress and Hazelnuts celebrates the best fall flavors ~ it's earthy, gluten free, vegan, and utterly delicious!
- 6 oz about 1 cup, raw wild rice
- 3 cups (24 ounces) Swanson Vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅓ cup whole raw hazelnuts
- 4 ounces brown mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ large yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh watercress ( rinsed and dried )
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- micro greens (optional)
- Set oven to 350F
- Put the rice, broth, and bay leaf in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook, partially covered, for about 45 minutes, or until the rice is just barely tender. If your rice is still too firm, cook it a little longer, adding extra water or broth if the liquid is too low. Drain.
- Meanwhile put the hazelnuts on a dry baking sheet and roast them for 15 minutes, shaking the pan to redistribute the nuts once during that time. Remove and let cool on the pan. When the nuts are cool, wrap them in a clean dish cloth and rub the nuts together to remove most of their skins. Discard the skins and give the nuts a rough chop.
- Dry saute the mushrooms in a skillet, stirring until they are browned and fragrant. Remove to a plate.
- Melt the butter in the same pan and saute the onions and garlic for about 7 minutes until just turning golden. Add the rice to the pan, stir well, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and taste to adjust.
- Arrange the watercress in a shallow salad bowl and top with the rice mixture. Drizzle with the dressing.
- Scatter the nuts over top, and garnish with the micro greens.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island