Green Minestrone with Radish Greens Pesto
From a Chef's Kitchen
Green Minestrone with Radish Greens Pesto is a healthful taste of spring! A twist on classic Italian minestrone, this version has lots of spring vegetables!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 large leek (or 2 medium), halved and sliced
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 small zucchini (halved and sliced into 1/4-inch slices)
- 1 cup handful green beans (trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces )
- 1 cup shredded Savoy cabbage (approximately 1/4 head)
- 2 cans (15-ounce) cannellini, navy or Great Northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup frozen peas ( thawed under cold running water )
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- radish Greens Pesto
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the leek and celery, reduce heat to medium and cook 7 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add garlic and cook 15 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add vegetable broth, bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil.
- Add zucchini, green beans, cabbage, beans, basil, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover slighlty and cook 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas and parsley and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with a dollop of Radish Greens Pesto.