Lemon Crunch Bars
The View From the Great Island
No Bake Lemon Crunch Bars have an easy going, vintage vibe --- you probably already have everything you need to make these tangy treats! No bake and perfect for summer.
- 85 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 1½ cups gingersnap crumbs (this is about 8 ounces of cookies)
- 1¼ cups heavy cream (you can also use 'whipping cream')
- 1½ cup sweetened condensed milk (plus slightly more)
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- gingersnap crumbs
- Spray an 9x9 square baking dish. I like to line mine with parchment paper with long ends hanging off so I can lift it out after chilling for neater cutting, but that's optional.
- Toss the melted butter with the gingersnap crumbs until the crumbs are completely saturated. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom of the pan. Press firmly, but no need to steam roller them ;) Set the pan in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Whip the cream until you get firm peaks. don't whip it too long or it will get grainy and eventually turn to butter. Fold in the condensed milk, lemon juice, and drop of food coloring.
- Spread the filling into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Set the pan in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with a few gingersnap crumbs.