Afghan Kidney Bean Curry (Lubya)
This delicious Afghan kidney bean curry is made with a spiced tomato gravy and sweet caramelized onions. It's quick and easy to make and so flavorful!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (divided)
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seed
- 1 tsp whole cumin seed
- ½ tsp Dried Mint (optional)
- 15 oz whole tomatoes (can)
- 1 red onion (small, small dice, some reserved for garnish)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cups Kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tsp black pepper (freshly ground, or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- cilantro (for garnish)
- basmati rice (to serve)
- Melt 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the coriander and cumin and cook for about a minute or until the aromatic and a shade darker. Keep a close eye on them so they don\'t burn.
- Add the dried mint and the tomatoes and their juices to the pot (watch for splattering!), and mash them a little. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for around 7 minutes until they break down and are saucy. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth, making sure to vent.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot and melt over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to turn golden. Then add the minced garlic, and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often so it doesn\'t burn.
- Once the onions are nice and caramelized add the broth, the spiced tomato sauce, kidney beans, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered on low heat for about 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro (if desired) and minced red onion and serve with basmati rice.
View the recipe instructions at www.thecuriouschickpea.com