Apple Pie (Grain-Free, Paleo, Gluten Free)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (celtic)
- ½ teaspoon gelatin (unflavored grass-fed)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or ghee)
- 5 granny Smith apples (peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 4 pink lady apples (or gala, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- ½ cup coconut milk (or heavy cream)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon Arrowroot flour
- ½ teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (or ghee)
- Crust: Place almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, sugar and gelatin in the bowl of a food processor. Process 2-3 times to combine. Add the butter and pulse with 10 one-second pulses and then let the food processor run until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Pour dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap then press the dough into a 9-inch disk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 ºF and adjust rack to middle position. Remove plastic wrap from the dough. Press dough onto bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch buttered pie dish. Crimp edges of crust. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Place a piece of parchment on the bottom of the pie crust and cover with pie weights or beans. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove pie weights and parchment and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until just turning golden brown.
- Filling: Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add apples, coconut sugar, cinnamon and sea salt. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until apples release their moisture and sugar is melted. Pour coconut milk or cream over apples and continue to cook, stirring frequently until apples are soft and liquid has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Topping: Place almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot, gelatin and coconut sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Process 2-3 times to combine. Add butter. Pulse with 10 one-second pulses and then let the food processor run until the mixture just comes together to form a dough (you want it to be a crumbly mixture). Spread crumbs onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Carefully remove sheet of parchment with hot crumbs to the counter and place the pie crust (still in the pie dish) on the baking sheet. Pour the apple filling into the crust and then top with hot crumbs. Place strips of foil or a pie shield over the edges of the crust to avoid burning. Bake for 10-12 minutes until topping is just turning golden brown . Cool for 30 minutes. Serve.
View the recipe instructions at deliciouslyorganic.net