Basmati and Wild Rice with Chickpeas, Currents and Herbs (vegan and gluten free)
The View From the Great Island
This Basmati and Wild Rice with chickpeas, currants and herbs is a naturally vegan and gluten free rice pilaf, and makes a stunning side dish or hearty vegetarian main course.
- 0.33333333333333 cup Wild Rice
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2.25 cups basmati rice
- scant 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1.5 tsp curry powder
- 1.5 cups drained chickpeas
- 0.75 cup sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 1.5 tsp all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 0.66666666666667 cup dried currents
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cover the wild rice with plenty of water and bring to a boil in a small saucepan. Simmer for about 40 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- To cook the basmati rice, pour a tablespoon of the olive oil into a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid and heat on high. Add the rice and 1/4 tsp of salt and stir to combine the rice and oil. Carefully add in the boiling water, lower heat to very low, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, remove the cover, lay a clean towel over the pan, re-cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the cumin seeds and the curry, then the chickpeas and 1/4 tsp of salt. Stir fry the chickpeas for a couple of minutes, then transfer them to a large bowl.
- Wipe out the pan and pour in the safflower oil. Heat until very hot. Toss the onions with the flour, separating the onion rings as you do. Check to see if the oil is hot enough by dropping an onion in. It should sizzle vigorously. Dust any excess flour off the onions and fry them, in batches, until deep golden brown. This should only take a couple of minutes. Set the onions on paper towels to drain.
- Mix the two rices, the chickpeas, currents and herbs together in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste, and top with the fried onions. Serve warm or at room temperature.