Beer Battered Zucchini with Lime Cilantro Aioli
The View From the Great Island
Beer Battered Zucchini with Lime Cilantro Aioli ~ what's not to love about this crispy fried zucchini and zesty dip? This is going to the favorite appetizer at your next party, guaranteed!
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh pepper
- 1 bottle of beer
- vegetable oil for frying
- cilantro lime aioli
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 egg yolk
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Make the sauce by putting the garlic into a mini processor and process till finely minced.
- Add in the egg yolk, cilantro, lime juice and zest and process till blended and the cilantro is finely minced.
- While the machine is running, drizzle in the olive oil and process until the sauce thickens and turns a pale green. Stop once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add enough oil so that the sauce is a dipping consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and more lime juice if necessary. Set aside.
- Cut the zucchini into even sticks.
- Put 1/2 cup flour on a plate and set aside for dredging.
- Put 1 cup flour in a shallow bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- While whisking, gradually pour in the beer until the batter has the consistency of a thick pancake batter, whisking until mostly smooth.
- In a wok or frying pan heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil to 350 degrees.
- Dredge the zucchini sticks in the flour, and then into the batter. Making sure they are completely covered in batter, shake off excess and drop them into the hot oil. Do them in small batches so the oil stays hot, I fried about 4 or 5 at a time.
- Fry them for about 2 minutes total, turning them halfway through. They should be golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.