Blood Orange Crumble Bars
The View From the Great Island
Blood Orange Crumble Bars ~ the sweet tart filling is layered into a buttery shortbread crumble dough ~ this easy dessert or breakfast treat is delicious!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Blood Orange Jam, recipe
- optional glaze
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, the seeds of 1 vanilla bean, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- milk or cream to thin
- Set oven to 350F Lightly spray and line a 9x9 square baking pan with parchment paper with long ends so that you can lift the cooled bars out for easier cutting. This is optional.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until well combined and fluffy.
- Blend in the salt and vanilla. Add the flour gradually and mix until just combined. There should be no more dry flour left, but the mixture will be crumbly.
- Take approximately 2/3 of the dough and pat it into the bottom of the pan. I like to drop crumbles of the dough all over the bottom to distribute it before I start patting it down, this helps get the bottom covered evenly.
- Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Using your fingertips, crumble the remaining dough over the jam.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the bars are just starting to turn golden.
- If you are glazing the bars, let them cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk the sugar and vanilla with enough milk or cream to get a glaze consistency. Drizzle liberally over the cooled bars.