Blood Orange Ice Cream
The View From the Great Island
Blood Orange Ice Cream ~ this gorgeous homemade ice cream is bursting with that unmistakable berry/citrus flavor that blood oranges are famous for!
- 1½ cups cold heavy cream
- ½ cup cold milk
- ½ cup sugar (I used Baker's, or superfine sugar, but regular sugar is ok)
- Lemon juiced
- juice of approximately 2 blood oranges
- dash of orange extract (optional)
- a drop or two of food coloring (optional)
- Stir together the cream, milk, and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Put the lemon juice into a measuring cup and add the blood orange juice until it measures 1/2 cup
- Add the juice to the cream mixture, along with the extract and food coloring, if using. I used a very small drop of yellow, orange, and pink to emphasize the color of mine.
- Pour into the chilled bowl of your ice cream machine and process according to the machine's directions.
- Spread the soft ice cream into a loaf sized pan and freeze for a couple of hours or longer, until firm.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island