Brats with Spicy Cranberry Relish
The View From the Great Island
Brats with Spicy Cranberry Relish. Slowly cooked bratwurst on pretzel buns loaded up with a cranberry apple jalapeno relish. Hello Fall!
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries (heaping cup)
- ½ medium onion
- 1 jalapenos
- 1 medium apple
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 brats
- olive oil for brushing
- 32 ounce carton of beef broth
- 6 buns (I love pretzel buns)
- Finely chop the cranberries and put them in a bowl.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the bowl.
- Finely mince the jalapenos. For more heat use the seeds, for less heat, discard them. Add to the bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the apple, toss with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Add to the bowl.
- Toss all the ingredients and refrigerate until needed.
- For the brats, heat a grill pan over medium high heat until hot.
- Prick the skin of the brats with the tip of a small knife. Brush with olive oil.
- Place the brats on the hot grill and brown on all sides.
- Put the broth in a slow cooker and turn on high. When the brats are browned, add them to the pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, then reduce heat to low until ready to serve.
- Serve the brats on buns with lots of relish.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island