Broccoli Salad with Pineapple and Bacon
The View From the Great Island
Broccoli Salad with Pineapple, Bacon, and Spiced Pecans ~ don't be surprised if everybody skips the main course and heads straight for this salad!
serves approximately 8
- 16 ounce package of Signature Farms Thick Cut Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Signature SELECT Sweet & Smoky BBQ Rub
- 1 pound broccoli crowns, chopped into bite sized pieces, chop some of the stems, too!
- 1 small red onion, cut in small dice
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup Signature Kitchens Mayonnaise Dressing with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Signature Kitchens White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Signature Kitchens Honey Mustard
- optional: 3 Tbsp reserved bacon grease
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- set oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the bacon strips in a single layer. Cook for 25 minutes, or until crisp. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the fat, and set aside the bacon to drain on paper towels, then chop or crumble.
- Put the pecan halves in a skillet over medium heat and toast, stirring almost constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until they give off an aroma and start to turn brown. Add the butter and the spice rub and continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- Put the broccoli, red onion, pineapple, grapes, and cheese in a large bowl. Add the bacon and the nuts.
- Whisk the mayo, vinegar, and honey mustard together (along with the bacon fat if you are using.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, you may not need all of it. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Just before serving, toss the salad again, add more dressing if needed, and season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island