The View From the Great Island
Casually elegant Cardamom Affogato ~ a shot of steaming espresso is poured over a dish of homemade cardamom ice cream and the result is magical!
- for the ice cream
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 10 green cardamom pods
- ½ tsp espresso powder (instant espresso)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- for SERVING
- 1 shot of freshly brewed espresso for each serving
- Put the milk, cream and sugar together in a small saucepan and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Lightly crush the cardamom pods with the back of a spoon until they crack open. Don't lose any of the little black seeds. Add the cardamom pods to the pot, seeds, and all.
- Heat the cream over medium heat JUST until it comes to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Give the mixture a good stir, and then strain through a mesh sieve. Add the vanilla extract, cover and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream machine and process according to the directions. In my basic Cuisinart model it takes about 15- 20 minutes.
- Spread the soft ice cream into a loaf sized pan and freeze for at least 2-3 hours until scoopable
- To serve, put a scoop of ice cream in a small glass or dish, and then top with a freshly brewed shot of espresso. Eat right away!.