Cast Iron Skillet Pita Bread
Skillet Pita bread are easy to make and are soft and fluffy.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cups Wholewheat Flour ((or use 3½cups of all purpose ))
- 1 tsp yeast (Instant)
- 1 tsp sugar
- (1.25l) fish stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Make the Sponge: In a large mixing bowl, combine 1cup all purpose flour, yeast, sugar and 1cup lukewarm water. Mix with a fork until the flour is evenly moistened. Cover and set this aside in warm place for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- To make the dough: Stir 1cup all purpose flour, 1cup wholewheat flour, salt and ½cup water into yeast mixture. Knead 2~3 minutes (either with hand or dough hook on a stand mixer) until dough is smooth. Add remaining ½cup wholewheat flour and olive oil, knead 2~3 minutes or until the dough comes together. Knead for another 5~7 minutes on a floured work surface or 4~6 minutes in the stand machine. Dough should not be sticky anymore.
- Shape into a ball, place in a lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside to rise for 1 hour or until the dough is almost double in size.
- Punch the dough down, cover and let rise for 30 more minutes.
- Shape the dough into 10 2" balls on floured work surface. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Roll the ball into ¼" thick circles. Cover and let stand 30 minutes more.
- Brush cast iron skillet with oil and heat over high heat. Cook 1~1½ minute per side pressing lightly with a spatula for the bread to puff up. Repeat with the remaining dough circles, oiling skillet as necessary. Serve with hummus and falafel.