Christmassy Red Onion and Sultana Chutney
This Christmas chutney lasts up to three months in the fridge so if you make it ahead that's one less thing to do. Just try not to eat it all before Christmas!
- 1 kg red onions (finely sliced )
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 70 g light muscovado sugar
- 0.5 tbsp thyme leaves
- 375 ml red wine
- 175 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon powder
- 4 cloves (crushed)
- 70 g butter
- 100 g sultanas
- 0.5 tsp salt
- pepper (seasoning )
- Slice the onions and finely chop the garlic. Add the butter to a large saucepan on a medium heat.
- Cook the garlic and onions until the onions are nice and glossy.
- Add the sugar, thyme and salt and pepper. Give it a good stir and reduce the heat. Cook uncovered for 40 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Pour in the wine, balsamic vinegar, sultanas and spices then simmer on a medium heat for 30 minutes. Don't let it boil but reduce the liquid until 2/3s have gone and the liquid has thickened. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Leave and cool and spoon into sterilised jars. The chutney keeps in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- Serve with cheese of your choice or spoon on top of a camembert before baking. Enjoy!