Cider Glazed Apple Pie Bars
The View From the Great Island
Spiced Cider Glazed Apple Bars ~ buttery shortbread crumble bars stuffed with juicy SweeTango apples and drizzled with an outrageous spiced cider glaze!
- 2 large Sweetango apples
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 heaping Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup, 2 sticks, unsalted butter
- 0.66666666666667 cup sugar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.5 cup oat flour
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 0.25 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- cider to thin the sugar, approximately 3 Tbsp
- large apple
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch nutmeg
- Set oven to 350F
- Spray a 9x9 baking pan and line with parchment paper. This step is optional, but helps to lift out the bars for easy cutting.
- Peel and core the apples, then chop them into 1/2 inch pieces. Put them in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the salt and vanilla extract.
- Blend in the flours, and mix just until completely combined, don't over beat. Note: do not add the rolled oats at this time.
- Take 2/3 of the dough and press it into the bottom of your prepared pan. I like to crumble it over the surface first to distribute it, and then lightly press it down with floured fingers. Make sure it covers the entire surface, and add a bit more of the dough if necessary.
- Top the crust with the chopped apples. Arrange evenly across the surface.
- Mix the oats into the remaining dough with your fingers, and then crumble it over the top of the apples. Use your fingers to break apart the dough into smaller crumbles. It's ok if some of the apples show through.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, until the crust is just beginning to turn golden and you can hear the fruit bubbling.
- Let cool on a rack completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, mix the sugar and spices with just enough cider to make a drizzle-able glaze. Start with 2 tablespoons and go from there. Drizzle liberally over the bars.