Easy Vegan Cassoulet
This quick 30 minute Easy Vegan Cassoulet recipe is bursting with French flavor. Beans are simmered in a flavorful sauce and then topped with breadcrumbs.
- 4 teaspoons good quality vegan butter (divided)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 1 stalk celery (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cans great northern beans (drained but NOT rinsed)
- 1 cup good quality mushroom stock OR homemade broth
- 2 leaves bay
- 3 teaspoon sprigs thyme plus 1 teaspoon leaves (divided)
- 1 teaspoon sage (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (minced)
- 1½ tablespoons liquid aminos
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 slices good quality gluten free OR French bread
- In a pot, melt 2 teaspoons of the vegan butter over medium heat. Add in the shallot and celery. Cook until the vegetables are softened and translucent, about 7 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the beans, broth, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, sage, rosemary, liquid aminos, and white pepper. Bring the mixture up to a simmer, and simmer until the sauce has thickened and reduced, about 15 minutes.
- While the beans are simmering, add the bread, remaining butter and thyme to a food processor. Process until the bread has broken down into breadcrumbs.
- Add the reduced beans into a casserole dish. Top with the breadcrumbs and broil in the oven until the top is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Watch this step carefully as the breadcrumbs can go from golden to burned very quickly. Serve.