Ethiopian Chicken Stew
This flavorful Ethiopian Chicken Stew with bell pepper and spinach will fill your house with an amazing aroma as the sauce thickens on your stove top.
- 1 large yellow onion (diced )
- 1 inch piece ginger (peeled and grated)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs (cut into 1 inch pieces. I used breast meat)
- 1 large potato (diced into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons berbere seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large bell pepper ( seeds removed and diced)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach (about 2 oz)
- optional: cilantro for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large skillet or wok. Add the diced onion and grated ginger and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add the chicken, diced potato, and berbere seasoning, stir to coat. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer without a cover for about 40 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced.
- Add the diced bell pepper, stir, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Add in the baby spinach, stir, and remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve over rice, amaranth, quinoa, or bulgur, or with pieces of fresh injera.
View the recipe instructions at Babaganosh