Family Meals: Easy Fish Pie Recipe
BBC Good Food
A simple fish pie recipe that’s quick and easy to prepare. Portion into ramekins and freeze for quick toddler meals or cook in a big dish for the perfect family supper
- 1 kg maris piper potatoes (peeled and halved)
- 400 ml milk (plus a splash)
- 25 g butter (plus a knob)
- 25 g plain flour
- 4 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 1 pack fish pie mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock etc, weight around, 400 g depending on pack size)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (or english)
- 25 g chives (pack or a small bunch, finely snipped)
- handful frozen sweetcorn
- handful frozen petits pois
- handful grated cheddar
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C /gas mark 6.
- Put 1kg potatoes, peeled and halved, in a saucepan and pour over enough water to cover them. Bring to the boil and then simmer until tender.
- When cooked, drain thoroughly and mash with a splash of milk and a knob of butter. Season with ground black pepper.
- Put 25g butter, 25g plain flour and 4 finely sliced spring onions in another pan and heat gently until the butter has melted, stirring regularly. Cook for 1 -2 mins.
- Gradually whisk in 400ml milk using a balloon whisk if you have one. Bring to the boil, stirring to avoid any lumps and sticking at the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes until thickened.
- Take off the heat and stir in 320g-400g mixed fish, 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard, a small bunch of finely snipped chives, handful of sweetcorn and handful of petits pois. Spoon into an ovenproof dish or 6- 8 ramekins.
- Spoon the potato on top and sprinkle with a handful of grated cheddar cheese.
- Pop in the oven for 20 - 25 mins or until golden and bubbling at the edges. Alternatively, cover and freeze the pie or mini pies for another time.
View the recipe instructions at BBC Good Food