Frozen Mint Lemonade (Lemonana)
The View From the Great Island
Frozen Mint Lemonade (Limonana) ~ a slushy, minty, Middle Eastern version of lemonade that is honestly the most refreshing drink I have ever had in my life.
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, seeds removed, but keep the pulp, preferably cold
- 1 cup water (for a less tart lemonade, add 1/2 cup more water, but remember that the ice will dilute the lemon, too)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- a good handful of fresh mint leaves (not the stems) or about a packed 1/4 cup
- 2 heaping cups of ice cubes
- Dissolve the sugar in the water, stirring often the water is clear and all the grains have dissolved, this will take a couple of minutes. Mix with the lemon juice and chill until cold. You want to start with very cold lemonade.
- Add the mint, lemonade mixture, and ice to a blender and blend until slushy.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately, garnished with a slice of lemon and a sprig of mint.