Grandma Langhoff's Date Bars Updated
From a Chef's Kitchen
Date bars are a classic that never go out of style! This updated version is made just a touch healthier!
- 2 pounds unsulfured pitted dates (5 1/2 to 6 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2.5 cups quick oatmeal
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using the wrappers from the butter, lightly butter a 15 x 11 rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- Combine dates, water and coconut sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 5-7 minutes or until it turns a soft spreadable consistency. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine oatmeal, butter, flours, brown sugar and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix together with your hands until crumbly.
- Press half the crust mixture firmly into the prepared baking sheet. Carefully spread date filling evenly over the bottom crust. Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over the top and lightly press filling on top of the date mixture so it sticks to the filling.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a light golden color.