Grilled Pound Cake with Balsamic Macerated Strawberries and Mascarpone Cream
From a Chef's Kitchen
An Italian twist on strawberry shortcake, Grilled Pound Cake with Balsamic-Macerated Strawberries and Mascarpone Cream is easy and elegant!
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries (trimmed and sliced thick)
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (as needed, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- mascarpone CREAM
- 1 (8-ounce) container Mascarpone cheese
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- to FINISH
- 2 (10.75-ounce) boxes Sara Lee Pound Cake (sliced 1/2-inch to 1-inch thick)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- mint sprigs (garnish)
- STRAWBERRIES: Combine strawberries, balsamic vinegar, sugar and black pepper in a bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 12 hours refrigerated.
- MASCARPONE CREAM: Blend Mascarpone, powdered sugar and vanilla extract together in a bowl until combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff and peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
- TO FINISH: Preheat a grill to high. Coat each side of the pound cake slices with butter. Grill 1-2 minutes per side or until nicely marked.
- Serve the strawberries over the cake along with any accumulated juice. Top with a dollop of Mascarpone cream and garnish with mint sprigs.