Homemade Grape Soda
The View From the Great Island
Homemade (sugar free!) Grape Soda ~ it has nothing at all in common with the bottled stuff, it's pure fruit, no added sugar, and bursting with grape flavor!
- 1 lb fresh Grapes (I used seedless black grapes)
- 0.5 cup water
- juice of lemon
- Wash the grapes and put them in a heavy bottomed pot, along with the water and lemon juice. Bring the pot to a simmer and continue simmering for about 2o minutes until the grapes have begun to soften. Smash the grapes with the back of a large spoon as they cook.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until completely blended. Let the machine run long enough to get all the grapes completely pureed.
- Pass the puree through a mesh strainer, pushing lightly, to get the juice through. Discard any pulp, skin or seeds.
- Refrigerate the grape syrup until cold.
- To serve, fill a glass with ice and mix half syrup and half sparking water. Garnish with a sprig of basil or mint.