Hot Chili Pepper Truffles
The View From the Great Island
These Hot Chili Pepper Truffles are a dark chocolate ganache spiced up with cayenne pepper for a unique homemade candy with a kick!
makes 18 truffles
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 0.5 tsp cayenne chili pepper (more if you dare!)
- 8 oz good quality dark or bittersweet chocolate, or dark chocolate chips
- 0.25 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (for rolling)
- Heat the cream until it just comes to a simmer. You can do this in a small saucepan on the stove, or in a bowl in the microwave.
- Meanwhile, if you are using bar chocolate, chop it into small pieces.
- Add the chocolate and chili powder directly to the hot cream. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then stir until the mixture is smooth and glossy. If the chocolate isn't completely melted you can heat it for about 15 seconds in the microwave and stir again.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set the bowl in the refrigerator to cool for about 2 hours, or until the ganache has hardened enough to be scoopable.
- Using a small 1" sized scoop, a melon baller, or a teaspoon, scoop up small amounts of chocolate and set them on a plate. Work with about 10 truffles at a time.
- Roll each truffle around in your palms until it is a smooth ball.
- Roll each truffle in the cocoa powder until they are completely coated.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the truffles, cleaning your hands in between batches.
- You can store the truffles in the refrigerator, and you can serve them chilled or at room temperature.