Ina Garten’s Mustard Roasted Chicken
The View From the Great Island
Ina Garten's Mustard Roasted Chicken is a regular on our dinner table --- the chicken is moist and tender and that crust is to-die-for!
- 2 chicken breasts and 2 whole leg/thighs, bone in, skin on
- 0.5 cup dijon mustard
- 0.5 cup buttermilk
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- a small handful fresh thyme leaves
- zest of one lemon
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs *
- 0.25 cup olive oil
- Put the chicken pieces in a large zip lock baggie or other container. Mix the buttermilk and the mustard and pour over the chicken. Coat all the surfaces, and marinate, tightly covered, for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Set oven to 400F
- Set up a food processor fitted with the metal blade. With the machine going, drop in the garlic cloves to mince them. Turn off the machine and add the crumbs, thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper to the bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil and pulse the machine to combine everything.
- Put the crumbs into a pie plate, or other wide shallow bowl, and press each piece of chicken, skin side down, into the crumbs. The marinade will help the crumbs adhere to the meat. Press the crumbs in with your hands to completely coat the top. Set the chicken down --- crumb side up --- on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Press any remaining crumbs onto the bare spots on the chicken. Don't waste any!
- Bake the chicken for about 40 minutes, until the topping is browned and the chicken is cooked through. I ran mine under the broiler at the very end to get a little more color.